Get a new boiler

Do I need home cover?

How-to guides

Nobody likes to think about the worst happening, but when it comes to your home, it’s always good to be prepared. Home cover is there to protect your home against things such as emergency plumbing problems, boiler breakdowns, heating problems and electrical repairs. Our useful guide will take you through the ins and outs of home cover, and if you actually need a home cover plan.

What is home cover?

Home cover is a type of home insurance taken out against potential emergency issues such as plumbing problems, boiler repairs, electrical repairs, and central heating issues. Landlords can also take out home cover to protect their rented properties. Companies usually offer a variety of home cover plans to suit different needs. Some may only account for one or two home emergency issues, whilst more premium plans will often combine several or all offered services.

Do I actually need home cover?

Tenants of rented properties do not need to take out home cover as emergency repairs and keeping the property in good working order is the responsibility of the landlord.

For homeowners it’s a little more complicated. Some mortgage suppliers will insist on home cover as part of the contract, however in general, home emergency cover is not a legal requirement. Home emergency cover is there to give you peace of mind that if something goes wrong, you have a plan in place to fix it.

It’s a good idea to check your home insurance plan first before taking out home cover, though, as some home insurance plans will include emergency home cover also.

Is home cover worth it?

You might be wondering if you don’t not have to take out home cover, is it worth the cost? Before deciding against it, take a look at some of the benefits of having home cover:

Peace of mind should the worst happen

Taking out emergency home cover will give you peace of mind that should the worst happen, you know that you have a plan in place. No worrying about when your problem will be fixed and how much it will cost.

Quick response and repairs

Providers of home cover plans will usually send out qualified engineers to fix your problems as soon as possible.

Avoid unexpected costs

With home cover plans, you know what costs to expect if you have to make a claim. There won’t be any nasty surprises further down the road.

What’s included in home cover?

Home cover plans will often include one or more of the following services:

  • Boiler repair or replacement

  • Annual boiler servicing

  • Central heating repairs

  • Plumbing repairs

  • Electrical repairs

Is home emergency cover the same as home insurance?

Home emergency cover is not the same as home insurance and will sometimes cost extra. Your home insurance provider may offer emergency home cover as part of their regular insurance plan, or as an add-on, but you can also purchase home cover as a stand-alone service from other providers like Home Assist.

Home cover plans with Home Assist

Our home cover plans start from as little as £4 per month and range from basic starter plans, through to more premium cover, and home cover for landlords. All of our plans come with guaranteed free replacement if your boiler is under 7 years old and cannot be repaired, or 50% off a new boiler if your current boiler is over 7 years old and cannot be fixed.

Check out our website for more information about home cover with Home Assist. If you need help choosing a plan, get in touch for for free, friendly advice on 014919173459

Scott Flannigan

Never worry about expensive breakages again

No matter the cost, no matter the problem, we’ll repair your property within your monthly plan.

  • Boiler repairs cover & CP12 annual service
  • Central heating repairs cover
  • Plumbing repairs cover
  • Electrical repairs cover
  • Cover for landlords